I was ready with my newly acquired "pearls." (You'll recall I obtained them at the parade last night).
Hey - is that big ol' Coast Guard ship with the aerostat surveillance blimp going to participate?! Nope - boo.We knew something was happening when the Conch Republic Navy's planes flew overhead ("a farce to be reckoned with"). It was really crazy to have at least 10 shiny, antique planes, including a not-so-old seaplane, fly over, circle, and in a few minutes start dropping a surprise.





It wasn't long before the pirate ships starting showing up. A couple of small Coast Guard boats did participate (screw the sequester) and the battle began. When the first cannon went off,
every single person around me jumped...high. Me too.

These were a friendly bunch of pirates (note we almost got mooned by one).
I'm not exactly sure who the good guys were and who the bad guys were since most took shots at each other, but you name a water toy and it was put into use. Can you see the planes buzzing by too? I mean, it was a real battle!


The best part was yet to come... What is that?!

It's toilet paper. The planes started dropping dozens of biodegradable toilet paper rolls. Too funny! Some actually hit their mark.
Others just made for some rather artistic photos.



We just watched as all the boats went back and forth, booming cannons, spraying water, coming perilously close to each other, getting TP'd... It was pretty funny.



Eventually, a surrender flare went up (or down, as it were).
Then the little Coast Guard boat went past with orange smoke billowing out, signaling the end to the battle. My camera died at right that moment, so I didn't get that, but MileZero (who was on one of the fighting boats got a couple).
That was some crazy stuff. Long live the Conch Republic! Someone shot a video from their monohull (I'm not sure if you have to be on Facebook to see it).






Among other things, I'm a blogger. My last one was
very entertaining.
ReplyDeleteThanks EG! It was certainly an interesting event.
Delete