Blue Angels and Thunder











This weekend turned out to have the best weather. It's a good thing we got out and enjoyed it (the moped rides were perfect) because we had thunder and lightning this morning (it eventually started pouring causing Michael to go into work 2 hours late, but it was short-lived and brought in cooler air).

Saturday entailed chores and some shopping, but Sunday we decided to see if we could get closer to the action going on at the Boca Chica airfield. We knew we couldn't get to the base itself, thanks to the only 55mph zone in the entire Keys located just outside Key West (something our mopeds don't do), so we took up the Key West Harbour Yacht Club's offer to hang out on their beach - normally member's only. It was a small beach, but had a great breeze and a good view of Boca Chica Key across the way. We couldn't see things like
the wing walkers and parajumpers from our location, but were still entertained. I was lucky any photos came out because my camera's zoom no longer works, but a new camera is on its way!

We watched a few biplanes do tricks and make smoke designs in the sky.

Then I'm not sure if I captured the FVC-111 Bandit demo or the Firebirds Xtreme here.


We kept hearing kids screaming "Fat Albert!" and wondering what the heck they were talking about, when this big plane went back and forth over our heads (Fat Albert is supposed to be a blimp, but what do I know?).


Most of the kids were more enamored by the toys they'd brought than the planes though.



Almost 1/2 hour late, the Blue Angels zoomed over. I could skip the twirls and other tricks, but if I could get in one and just hit the gas pedal (or whatever) until I was smooshed against my seat, I'd be in heaven. I definitely have the need for speed. 

         
      

They even made a couple of Ps - one for each of our last names - Ha!

 

So that's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment