One Month Down

So it's been exactly one month since we walked off a plane from St. Kitts and started life in Key West. And I'm still ordering stuff, emailing sellers when we receive the wrong or broken items, am fighting with the bed person who decided we didn't order a headboard, and putting things together or away. At least the mattress and the frame finally arrived (and they put it together!) so Michael was able to move in yesterday and we're all one big happy family again.

The moped got looked over (all the plastic bits are broken or warped) and the insurance company has been in touch and is staying neutral at the moment.

 

I've been walking to my destinations, which has been a good thing as I found the library today while I was on the way to the Post Office, as well as a grocery store and a deli nearby. Michael knocked his moped over while we were at the Home Depot and broke one of his brakes - so he might be walking with me while our bikes go back to the shop for awhile. Jeez.



I did run the other day - probably made it about 3 miles before I decided it wasn't the greatest thing for my bruised hip and then walked the rest. I went around the whole island, curious about whether I'd be on the water the whole time, have a sidewalk, etc.  Well - 1/2 the island was nice, despite being along a busy road.


There were times the seaweed stench sure woke me up. P.U.!


The other 1/2 was along Roosevelt, which is under construction. I can't say that was the most attractive walk.



Circumnavigating the whole island took about 2 hours. I was happy to get home to the Advil. And to the a/c I finally put on. It's hot and really humid (and that's with clouds)! Is this normal?!

We were finally able to get our Florida licenses (and register to vote and get our moped registration updated with the latest address). We each had our own agent and, oddly, had a great time. That might have been the most fun either Michael or I have ever had at a DMV. And I ended up with the best picture I may have ever gotten of myself. Cool.


It's a good thing we got to the DMV when we did, because when we came out of the place this was going on:



We haven't seen a waterspout since we were anchored in the Bahamas 6 years ago, so this was pretty spectacular. I also got to wear my new rain gear.


No seriously. Don't hate us because we're beautiful. BTW, I told Michael to make his sexy face. Oy.



Anyway, with our new licenses, we headed to Krawl to try one of their many beers on draft, just so we could show our new i.d. and get local prices (2 for 1 from 5pm to 7pm).



Michael grabbed some food from The Cafe across the street, and then we rushed home with lightning and kabooming all around, hoping to beat the rain (again) and missed it by 2 blocks - run faster!

Saturday is national Public Parks Day and Museum Day. Let's see if we can fit some more fun in (without breaking anything).

4 comments:

  1. Renee, I am really enjoying your Key West blog. Sounds like you and Mike are slowly settling in. I can't believe a month has passed already. Looks like an interesting place - I think I would like it! Sorry to hear about your scooter mishap but thankful no serious injuries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of you Island Babble fans continuing on with me. We're still struggling with the move and miss our friends so it's nice to know that those of you who have been with us since St. Kitts are still there and understand where we're coming from. So far it's been mostly all work and no play, so hopefully October will bring on the fun and help us begin some new fond memories in our new home. And no more accidents! Best to you - Renee

      Delete
  2. yes yes yes! two new florida voters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just got our official ID. Polls here we come!

      Delete